Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Inital Thoughts on Project-Based Learning

When I registered to take EDTECH 542 this summer, I was extra excited about the course because we have been facilitating project-based learning at my school for the last year.  This would be my opportunity to fine-tune what I knew about PBL, or so I thought.

After the first week of class, and reading what PBL is all about, I have come to realize that what my school perceives to be project-based learning is really teaching thematic units.  The description of PBL that we were provided with really was that PBL and thematic units were the same thing.

With new understandings in mind, I have now shifted my focus to fine-tuning skills I thought I had to wiping the slate clean and starting over.  My only regret is that I will not be teaching in a classroom as I did this last year, so I won't really be getting a second chance at teaching using PBL personally.  Hopefully I can use what I learn to help others in my school to gain a greater understanding of what project-based learning is really all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment