Sunday, June 29, 2014

Project Ideas and Driving Questions

In the beginning stages of developing my project idea and driving question, I am reminded of my undergraduate studies and the first time I was "turned loose" with lesson planning.  I had my lesson idea, and it was going to change the world.  Once I got past my own ego, I realized that there were a lot of little things I had to consider before I was even close to ready to even think about setting foot in a classroom to teach the lesson.

Beginning to plan my PBL unit felt very similar to this experience, but in a less egotistical way.  My project idea came to me the previous week, and I informally began to construct the lesson in my head before I started the formal documentation.   As the idea continued to develop in my head, I grew more excited about the end product.  The wood chips on our playground are a huge issue among our students and I am very excited to see what the kids can accomplish if given the opportunity to try to influence change.

My excitement powered me through the first phases of project planning.  I had already targeted the basics in my informal planning.  It was when I reached the driving question phase that I had to force myself to slow down and catch my breath.  The class resources, especially the webinar video from BIE, were very helpful in directing me toward a guiding question and thinking about effective sub-questions to help guide student learning.  It is just as difficult from a teacher's standpoint to encourage open-ended thinking as it is for students to engage in open-ended thinking.  It is much easier to ask a closed question with a simple answer, so it was helpful to slow down and really think about the big idea.  It seems like it helps to start the project off on the right track.

I am still excited about my playground resurfacing project, but I have shifted my excitement toward the next stage of development, rather than the end product.  I know that in time, I will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment