Saturday, September 14, 2013

Elements of Educational Technology

Please click here to view my Elements of Educational Technology response.

Reading the AECT definition of educational technology and how each element impacts the field as a whole was very interesting to me.  I had to read the entire document a few times and give the content some time to sink in before I was able to think through the information that was actually being presented.

One month ago, prior to beginning this semester's courses, I am realizing that I had only a vague idea of what educational technology is because I was only thinking about it in reference to how it pertains to myself as an educator.  The AECT definition opened my mind to all of the different components of the field of educational techology, and how symbiotic each element really is.  I had never stopped to think how all of the resources I was using in the classroom actually came to be.


4 comments:

  1. Hello Kimberly,
    I enjoyed reading you paper on the Elements of Technology. I agree with you that creation not only applies to technology but the learning environments in our classroom as well. I also find myself having to create environments that are engaging to students whether we are using our devices or not. I also understand your point that students do not always see the full potential of educational technology at such a young age. I have experienced this with my students too. Even though they enjoy many of the lessons on their devices, many times they would much rather get on their scoot pad account or a learning game website.

    Mariel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, technology is a great tool but, the important thing is that the learning environment is appropriate for the group of students whether or not it involves the use of technology. I understand what you mean about younger children not realizing the potential of using that technology for educational purposes and, you're right the only way to bridge that gap is to incorporate technology into as many lessons as possible and show them how exciting and relevant technologies are. I think that sometimes the parents need to be educated on technology along side of the students so that they can help their children utilize technological tools outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After learning so much about educational technology this semester, I felt it necessary to revise my thoughts on what I feel is the most important element in the definition of educational technology. In fact, I completely changed my mind altogether! It is interesting how reflection on this assignment has shown me how much I have grown already in just one semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    I love the way you chose facilitating because of the fact that the same technology can be taught by different teachers in such different ways. Some students might love a new technology because their teacher let them explore it versus students who hate it because their class was simply taught through drill and practice. Again, training is so important.

    ReplyDelete