Sunday, September 29, 2013

RSS in Education



I had a huge learning curve to attend to with this particular assignment.  Before we started using RSS a couple of weeks ago, I had heard of the topic, but had never used it.  So, my first challenge was to learn about RSS and what exactly the purpose of it is.  Screen casting is also something that I had never used.  I explored a variety of the free screen casting tools provided to us, and a few of them just wouldn't work on my computer.  One of them worked initially, but then stopped working when I tried to use it a second time.  My frustration level was very high at this point.  Once I settled on Webinaria, I was able to successfully complete my screen casts.

When I first began looking into RSS, I had a hard time grasping its use in my classroom.  I have a group of third graders who are very enthusiastic about technology, but haven't had to use it much for educational purposes.  However, once I began to understand more about RSS feeds, I came up with the idea to use an RSS feed for my class to use in conjunction with their blogs.  One of the challenges we are facing with the Smarter Balanced test coming up in the spring, is the lack of typing skills that the students have at such a young age.  By using the RSS/Blog assignment combination, not only are the students practicing and reinforcing their reading and writing skills, but they will also have more practice with typing out their thoughts.  I am now very enthusiastic about beginning this assignment with my students.

I am glad to have had the opportunity to explore RSS.  It is a convenient and useful tool that I intend to use much more, both personally and professionally, in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Kim,
    Well done. I like the way you tied using these not only into a way to communicate with your students easily through following blogs, but also how you tied it into their typing skills. I imagine it can be frustrating waiting for them to type everything out, but you are preparing them for what they are going to need all throughout school. Your video is also well presented and you speak very well on it. I tend to speak very fast and am envious of your smooth transitions and well laid out presentation!
    Er

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Kim, your tutorial was very well organized and I love the idea of using a preset feed reader to allow your students to select material to read and summarize in their own words. That is something I can see myself doing as well so thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    Great job on your tutorial. I enjoyed how you presented the Feedly website and gave directions on how to navigate the website. I found that to be very helpful to those of us who have never used this resources before. Your presentation was also very well organized. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete