Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to my EDTECH Learning Log!  This site will serve as a space for me to share experiences and artifacts that I have created as I complete the required courses to obtain my Masters of Educational Technology degree from Boise State University.

I am just beginning my sixth year teaching at Pine Butte Elementary School in Colstrip, Montana.  I taught first grade for four years, and am now starting my second year of third grade.  I have been a technology-integration coach for teachers in my school district for the past three years.  I work with teachers in both formal and informal settings to assist them in using and understanding the technology we are expected to use in our classrooms.  This year, my duties were expanded to training our substitute teachers to use this technology as well.  I will also be conducting training for our district staff on how to effectively utilize interactive whiteboards in their classrooms.  I have taught similar courses at a community college the past two summers, and I am excited to be able to present this information to my co-workers, as many of them have wanted to take the courses I have offered before, and haven't yet been able to do so.

We are in the midst of a huge "technological revolution" of sorts in my district.  This comes in large part, because of changes in state-mandated standardized testing, but also as a reflection of how education is transforming in the 21st century.  In the coming weeks, all students grades 3-12 will have the opportunity to begin learning in a 1-to-1 environment.  I am anxious to see how increased access to technology (in my classroom specifically) will benefit the students.  I think I have decided to pursue a M.E.T. degree at just the right time!

I am enthusiastic about all that I will be learning, creating, and sharing throughout the next two years as a student in the EDTECH program at BSU.  Please check back to follow my progress and offer any comments or constructive criticism you may have. 


7 comments:

  1. Hello Kimberly, it is nice to meet you. I am interested to know how the one-to-one implementation in your classroom goes. My school year has also started with a one-to-one implementation. I look forward to working with you and learning from your experiences as well. I hope to share strategies and tips about one-to-one implementation with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    I love the idea that your subs are trained in the technology. I always hate taking time off because I feel like I am robbing my students of their education because their subs do not know the content and/or technology. My district is also doing a huge turn around with technology this year...should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberly. Nice to meet you and good job with the learning log. As someone from outside the world of teaching, can you tell me a little more about what form the one to one implementation is taking? And how much time is dedicated to the one to one? I am eager to gain a more practical understanding of what this is all about.

    I was fascinated when my son (eighth grader in PA) described how his standardized testing delivers different questions to him and his classmates based on how they fared in answering previous questions. Before that I would've thought standardized testing and individualization would have been at odds with one another!

    Thanks in advance for the insight and best of success with the the program.

    mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      I can't say for sure right now what the one to one implementation is even going to look like. I know we are getting android based tablets, called "e-Bolt"s (I've never heard of them...). We haven't even had a chance to play around with them yet! I will be missing part of the school day on the 19th to attend training on how to use them, so maybe I can answer this question for you a little more thoroughly in a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  4. Kimberly it sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to technology. I look forward to learning from your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly,

    This should be a great semester and I look forward to learning more about your school and how the one-to-one technology is affecting learning. I am involved in a dual language program (as a volunteer) and I believe one-to-one technology use would drastically improve the student outcomes. As my M.E.T. program continues I hope to research this idea and write a grant for this school inorder to provide this opportunity for the dual languange students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kim, for your detailed introduction. It makes total sense to also provide training to substitute teachers in the use of technology for teaching. Your current and developing skills will be a huge resource for your school and beyond. Keep pushing the boundaries and don't be afraid of asking for what you need. :)

    ReplyDelete